B&NES Council have informed SPC that weed spraying will be taking place in Saltford on or around Friday 14th May, weather pending.
Information from the B&NES Council Neighbourhood Environmental Services team (cleansing) has been shared as follows:
A few things about the spraying:
- They will have 2 people from a company called Charlton Environmental carrying targeted spraying on foot.
- They will be using back packs with spray lances and will target spray weeds, that is they won’t blanket spray everywhere. The system is called CDA (Controlled Droplet Application) which also reduces the amount of drift spray.
- They will be using weed killing chemical called Monsanto Amenity 360 which contains glyphosate. This will kill the plant that the chemical used only targets the plants it is sprayed on, it has no residual properties, and so will not prevent any future germination of plant material
- It will take about 2 to 3 weeks to take effect and we advise that once the plant is dead that it is removed shortly after.
- We are unable to return to spray weeds that grow after we have sprayed.
- As you may be aware glyphosate has been in the news as some organisations have stated that it may be carcinogenic. In December 2017 the EU Commission reviewed the use of GL and extended the legal use of GL for a further 5 years.