Report It - Saltford Parish Council

Saltford Parish Council provided Bin at local bus stop

SPC can act within its powers only. Parish Councils are not permitted to act in areas that are the responsibility of other authorities, such as the police (i.e. dangerous parking) or B&NES Council (i.e. noise nuisance, parking enforcement etc).

SPC can signpost residents to the services they need, and residents are encouraged to report issues directly to the appropriate authority. Information on how to do this is available below.

Saltford Parish Council can and does liaise with other authorities regarding matters that are important to Saltford residents. Please contact the Parish Council if there are any matters you wish to have raised to the attention of SPC Councillors.

What matters should be reported directly to SPC?

Issues regarding SPC’s responsibilities including its assets, the management of safety at St Mary’s Churchyard, or the management of the Wick House allotments, can be reported directly to Saltford Parish Council. As stated above, Parish Council’s are not permitted to undertake responsibilities belonging to other authorities.

What matters should be reported to B&NES Council?

The majority of enquiries SPC receives are in relation to services provided by Saltford’s unitary authority, Bath and North East Somerset Council (B&NES Council). A list of B&NES Council services can be found here. Saltford Parish Council cannot resolve issues that are a B&NES Council responsibility.

Residents can contact B&NES Council directly at Council Connect on 01225 394041, or by email at Alternatively visit a One Stop Shop, the nearest one to Saltford is located at Keynsham Library.

Residents are encouraged to contact B&NES Council via the FixMyStreet website to report any issues that are broken, dirty, damaged or dumped. Please see the table and links below for an ‘at a glance’ guide on how to report some common issues. If your issue is not listed or does not fall into the categories covered by FixMyStreet or else the B&NES Council Report It page, please contact B&NES Council directly using details above at B&NES Council Connect.

Issue:Contact B&NES Council via:
Abandoned vehicleFixMyStreet
Anti-social behaviourB&NES website
BonfiresB&NES website
Broken street lightsFixMyStreet
Damaged street furniture i.e. bollardsFixMyStreet
Dead animal needing removingFixMyStreet
Dog foulingFixMyStreet
Empty propertyReport It
Health and SafetyB&NES website
High HedgesPlanning enforcement
Litter (excessive)FixMyStreet
Missed bin collectionReport It
Noise nuisanceB&NES website
Overhanging vegetationB&NES website
Parking EnforcementB&NES Website
Possible planning contraventionPlanning enforcement
Problem with highwayReport It
Protected tree (TPO) concernsPlanning enforcement
Roads inc. Pot holes, road signs etcFixMyStreet
Social Services emergencyB&NES website & Safeguarding B&NES
Someone sleeping roughReport It
Street cleansingFixMyStreet
Trees, grass or leavesFixMyStreet

B&NES Ward Councillors

There are two B&NES Council Ward Councillors for the Saltford Ward, which includes Saltford in addition to some nearby villages. Contact information for B&NES Ward Cllr Duncan Hounsell can be found here, and for B&NES Ward Cllr Alastair Singleton here.

Councillors Duncan Hounsell and Alastair Singleton ensure that the needs of the wards they represent are placed before the entire council for the welfare of Saltford ward. It is also the duty of the Ward Councillors to communicate the work of the council to constituents. Saltford’s Ward Councillors are invited to attend Saltford Parish Council meetings and provide a monthly report for Parish Councillors’ information. Key details of these reports can be found on SPC’s minutes.

Reporting an emergency to B&NES Council

Please see the Emergencies page of the B&NES Council website for information on what emergencies B&NES Council is responsible for and contact information.

Emergencies can be reported to B&NES Council on 01225 394041 (option 9).

B&NES Council’s out-of-hours emergency number is 01225 477477.

Neither B&NES Council or Saltford Parish Council are responsible for issues regarding private or company property e.g. telegraph poles, electricity cabinets etc.

Should there be an issue with private property, residents need to directly contact the owner or the company who owns the property to resolve.

Similarly, Parish Council’s are not informed nor holds information regarding private businesses or suppliers, or health care providers i.e. doctors or dentists. If you require information please contact the organisation directly. If you require assistance doing this please contact or visit a B&NES Council Library or One Stop Shop. Saltford’s nearest One Stop Shop is in Keynsham, and can help with general enquiries as well as assisting with a range of other matters.

In an emergency call 999

To report a non-emergency crime or incident call 101, or else contact

Please visit Avon and Somerset Police’s Report a Parking Problem page for information on how to report vehicles causing a hazard or obstruction.

Keynsham Beat Team

Saltford is covered by the Keynsham Beat Team. To find out more or to make contact please visit the Keynsham Beat Team page. The Keynsham Beat Team page has details on beat crime statistics, priorities, surgeries, team members and local police station locations.

Information on reporting a crime is also available on the Avon and Somerset Watch page.

Local Neighbourhood Watch information is also available from the Avon and Somerset Watch website. To register for local crime alerts visit the Avon and Somerset Police Community Alerts sign up page.

Beat Officers for Keynsham and surrounding areas

In the first instance, residents are advised to contact the Beat Team via the online form on the Keynsham Beat Team page (scroll to end).

Other contact details are as follows:

PC 4135 Kerry GRACE – Beat Manager (Saltford)

07739 628670

PC 3803 James EVANS – Beat Manager

07889 656353

PCSO 9973 Christopher PURVEY – Police Community Support Officer

07889 659620

PCSO 8149 Sarah HEWLETT – Police Community Support Officer

07889 656605

The above contacts are for information and non-urgent enquiries only. If officers are on rest days, leave or sick there may be a delay in responding. If you wish to report an incident or a crime or need to speak to a Police Officer you should contact 101. For all emergencies call 999.

Further information is available on the Avon and Somerset Police website.

SPC and the police

Saltford Parish Council maintains regular contact with Avon and Somerset Police when required, for example during periods of high visitor numbers to Saltford.

Relevant information shared by Avon and Somerset police to SPC is posted on SPC’s Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Saltford Parish Council also hosts the annual ‘Meet your community police officers’ meeting at Saltford Hall to which all residents are welcome to attend, including local Neighbourhood Watch groups. Unfortunately due to COVID19 restrictions it was not possible for this meeting to take place in 2020. The next meeting will take place in autumn 2021.


To report crime anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. This line is a 24 hour service.

You can find out more information on the Crimestoppers website.

Environment Agency

The Environment Agency exists to create better places for people and wildlife, and to support sustainable development.

Responsibilities and priorities can be found on the Environmental Agency website.

The Environment Agency 24hr hotline is 0800 80 70 60.

Call the Environment Agency incident hotline to report:

  • damage or danger to the natural environment
  • pollution to water or land
  • poaching or illegal fishing
  • dead fish or fish gasping for air
  • main rivers blocked by a vehicle or fallen tree causing risk of flooding
  • flooding from any river, stream, canal, natural spring or the sea
  • incidents at Environment Agency-regulated waste sites
  • illegal removals from watercourses
  • unusual changes in river flow
  • collapsed or badly damaged river or canal banks

More information can be found on the Environment Agency’s incident reporting page. This page also has information on incidents to report to your local council (B&NES Council) or utility company, rather than the Environment Agency.


Information about flooding emergencies can be found on B&NES Council’s Flooding webpage. Provision of sandbags for properties are the responsibility of the property owner (not the council), and owners are advised to purchase and store sandbags in preparation for flooding emergencies.

To sign up for free flood warnings please visit this Government webpage. This allows residents to receive warnings by phone, email or text message if your home or business is at risk of flooding. The service is free. You will need to provide the address you are registering, a phone number you can be contacted on (day or night) and an email address.

Floodline number (24 hour service): 0345 988 1188 (costs may apply, see here)

Prepare for flooding: This Government webpage details how to protect yourself from flooding, including advice if you own a riverside property.

Water leaks

If you notice or have concerns about a leak please visit the Bristol Water ‘How to report a leak‘ page. This page includes information about spotting a leak and who might be responsible for pipework leaks.

For the latest updates on repairs, incidents or planned works in a particular area – and to report a leak – use the Bristol Water interactive map by entering your post code.

Canal River Trust
The Canal River Trust are a charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways. They are responsible for some of the vegetation adjacent to waterways, as well as 2,980 bridges, 1,580 locks and 335 aqueducts. The Canal River Trust can be contacted in an emergency and also can be contacted about non-urgent issues regarding the river. Their FAQ page provides further information on the Canal River Trust’s responsibilities – these include moorings, pollution and vegetation.

If you can smell gas or suspect a gas leak call the 24 hr National Gas Emergency Hotline 0800 111 999, or via textphone (minicom) on 0800 371 787.

If you are worried about carbon monoxide escaping from a gas appliance, please also call the National Gas Emergency Hotline.

If you smell gas or suspect a leak, take the following actions:

  • Do open windows and doors
  • Do turn off gas at the meter (unless it’s located in the cellar or basement)
  • Do turn your gas appliances off
  • Do not smoke, light a match or use any kind of naked flame
  • Do not use light switches, doorbells or any electrical switches
  • Do not return to your home until you’ve been given the all clear

If you suspect there are high levels of carbon monoxide in your property:

  1. Open all doors and windows
  2. Move everyone into the fresh air
  3. Call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999

If someone has collapsed, or is displaying severe symptoms: Call 999.

Call 105 to report a power cut, or get information about power cuts.

You can also call 105 if you see damage to electricity power lines and substations that could put you, or someone else, in danger.

If there is a serious immediate risk, you should call the emergency services too on 999.

105 is a free service, available to people in England, Scotland and Wales. You can call the number from most landlines and mobile phones.

A call to 105 will put you through to your local network operator. Use the postcode finder here to identify your network operator. This online tool will also tell you how you can contact your network operator via their website or social media.

105 has FAQs and further advice about what to do in a power cut.

You can also call UK Power Networks direct on 0800 316 3105 to report a power cut.

Check affected postcodes and the number of UK Power Networks customers affected by power cut incident, and the status of repairs on a live map.

Back to top